Thursday, March 5, 2009

Infinity

Most people are comfortable with the idea of infinity For example, in this calculus equation , if you take the limit of f(x), where f(x) = 1/x, and x is approaching 0, L will equal infinity. However if you take the set of integers you would have a set of I={0,1,2,3,..,103,104,105,...,} that we could call a infinite set. However, if you take the set of all real numbers, you will have all the numbers of the integer set, but also an infinite numbers of numbers between each integer. This might be better with illustrations. Leave the norn a comment if you think this needs more pictures.

3 comments:

  1. I got the basic concept in the one and only math class I took in college, but I am a fan of pictrues and if you have pictrues that you are not sharing with us, then I say bust them out. Don't horde the pictrues.

    ReplyDelete